Thursday, July 21, 2022

 I have now completed all of the Level One Final Assignment!

As I stated previously, One set of masculine and one set of feminine cards.

I am glad I was able to finish the masculine cards first so I did not have the added pressure and feeling of impending doom hanging over me.  I did not want to do six cards all with the same set, I felt I could make a cohesive collection using three, but staying within the same colors.  That was my focus, using those colors in different ways or techniques.

But, I did not know what feel I wanted to go with.  Bright and whimsical, or classic shabby chic.  I chose shabby chic.  Finally I paired that down by choosing the colors that inspired me based on the fabric that I was covering my presentation box with.


To represent the classes, I chose "Let it Shine",  Easy Ink Blending Techniques, and Irresistible Inking Techniques.  I knew I was going to watercolor, use masking, foiling, die cutting, layering and a lot of bling.  All cards are to have "Neenah Solar White" cardstock for the base.

For my first card I used Altenew's "Nature Blossoms" stamp set.  It is a top folding 5 1/2" x 4 1/4".  I started with the background.  On "Canson XL" watercolor paper I began with the "Nature Blossoms" coordinating stencil, using the "Distress Oxide", "Bundled Sage" ink I blending the various leaves making a background pattern, then taking the line image stamps from that set and "Distress Ink" in the same color, I stamped each leaf image.  Next, using the "Bundled Sage" ink I added some watercolor washes throughout the panel, just to soften it.


I could not decide if I wanted gold or silver embossing powder, so I tried both.  The gold won.


Both the flower and many leaves were first heat embossed with the gold embossing powder, then watercolored and die cut.  I arranged the variety of leaves and the blossom onto another panel.  Both the flower and the panel are popped up using foam for added dimension.  The "warm wishes" sentiment is from the "Heartful Sentiments" stamp set and is also popped up with foam.  To finish off this card I glued down both sequins and rhinestones.  I love the layout of this card and will definitely be using it again.





Using the same "Nature Blossoms" stamp set I created my second card.  It is side folding 4 1/4" x 5 1/2".  Using "Canson XL" watercolor paper I stamped my first flower in the center using the "Hero Arts Contour Ink" for no line coloring.  I had to make both leaf and flower masks in order to layer up the images.  



I wanted this card to have a soft airy look to it.  The sentiment is die cut from one of my favorite sets "Seasonal Blooms" in a soft pink.  The entire panel is popped up with foam and finished off with rhinestones throughout.





For my third card I changed stamp sets and used Altenew's "Wild Rose", another delicate flower blossom.  This card is top folding 5 1/2" x 4 1/4".  I first stamped the flower and leaves with "Versamark" then heat embossed with gold powder.  Next, I stamped each layer to show the depth of the images and die cut each.  Before I adhered the cut out pieces, I first stamped what I wanted the card to look like in black ink so that I could place the images correctly while also leaving the black and white images.

  I ended up covering up most of this stamped area with my die cuts. I placed the leaves down and then popped up the rose with foam.  The sentiment is from the "Say it With Love" stamp set and also embossed in gold embossing powder. 

 I have a tip for you.  When setting up stamps in your "Misti" or other type of stamping platform, use a quilters grid.  I purchased a package of sheets (maybe 4 in a pack) of this heavy duty plastic with a grid that is just like the grid on the cover of the "Misti".  I then cut it the same size asthe stamping area of my "Misti".  I also have a full sized sheet (I think it is about 9" x 11") for my 12" x 12" "Misti". 

 Anyway, I lay the grid down OVER the cardstock that I am going to stamp on, I then line up the sentiment on the grid lines.  I am able to line it up both horizontally and vertically.  I then close the lid, picking up the stamp and just peel away the grid from the stamp.  Perfect alignment!


  I finished the card with both sequins and rhinestones.  
I really liked how easy it was to lay down my images having stamped them first onto the panel.





My fourth card uses the same stamp set, but it has a bit of contemporary twist to it.  Foiling!  the card is also a horizontal top folding card measuring 5 1/2" x 4 1/4".  I started of on my first panel using "Deco Foil Duo" paste and the "Elegant Swirls" stencil.  The "Deco Foil Duo" gets very sticky once dried making it a great way to add foil.  Using my "Brutus Monroe" scribble foil I ran it through my "Minc" on heat setting 3, the ran it through my switch, just to make sure it was evenly stuck down.  I love the magic when you peel away the foil and the design is revealed.
The Leaves and flower are both watercolored.  I was sure to stamp the outline in "Versafine" ink to assure that the black did not bleed into the watercolor.  I think that even though the layout is basically the same as my third card, it has a totally different emotion that is evoked.  Plus, I think just the simple adding of more leaves changes it up.  

Before I die cut my elements I sprayed shimmer all over the cardstock.  I made the shimmer out of "Tsukineko Frost White" ink.  This is so cheap to make and yields stunning results.  All you do is fill your mini mister up with rubbing alcohol and then add a drop of the ink, close it up and shake.  The shimmer does not wipe off like shimmer powders do.  They also make an ink called "Champagne Mist" which has a soft golden rose look to it. 

 The sentiment is from the "Sentiment Strips 3" set and is heat embossed in silver embossing powder.  This panel, the rose and the sentiment are all popped up with foam. 





My fifth and sixth card uses the "Regal Beauty" stamp set.  This next card actually has three pieces that are popped up each time.  It is also a horizontal top fold measuring 5 1/2" x 4 1/4".  The first layer I stamped a background using the "Leaf Clusters" stamp set and then running it through my "Switch" and the "Dotted Tile" debossing cover die.  I used my "Frost White" shimmer spray all over the background for a subtle shimmer and popped up the layer. 

 I feel that the "Regal Beauty" flowers have amazing depth in the many stamping layers.  I cut it out with the coordinating die.  I feel the simple popped up white rectangle was a great way to showcase the focal point.  The bloom is also popped up, and I cut the "hello" sentiment from the almighty "Seasonal Blooms" die in shiny gold cardstock.  I finished the card, like the others, with sequins and rhinestones.





For my sixth card I first cut out my square so I could later pop it up.  I then ink blended "Spun Sugar Distress Ink" in an Ombre effect on the rest of the panel, and then splattered watered down ink and the "Frost White" ink sporadically around.  Lastly on that panel I sprayed water to lift some of the ink with a paper towel then I spritzed my shimmer spray as well as the white cut out.  For the flower I stamped it in all of it's layers, but with the leaves I only stamped the solid stamp and then watercolored the rest.  Leaves and flower also received the shimmer spray.  The "Happy Birthday" sentiment is from the "Simple Sentiment 3" set.  Only the square and the sentiment are popped up with foam.  This card was finished with little half pearls and rhinestones.






Now onto the packaging!  I used the same pattern as the masculine box but certainly learn a few things from the first one some technical and some aesthetic.  I actually used the same fabric as the masculine box, however I had sewn the embroidered on tulle fabric onto the cotton.  I ended up using INVISIBLE thread!  Yeah, I'd say, it was so flippin' hard to thread the needle and bring up the bobbin.  I don't know if I will ever use that again!  Now I know.

The box was wrapped in the same fashion using the PVA glue except for the sides, I ended up taking the triangle pieces up over the lip of the box and adhered them that way.




  I lined the inside of the box with a coordinating patterned paper and also created a little step up tray to raise the contents up.


  For the lid I covered the fabric edges on the lid with pink satin ribbon.  For the ribbon I actually used "Fabri-Tac" glue.  This stuff is so strong and sets so fast.  It also stinks like crazy.  Be sure to use in a well ventilated area.


  This box also has the postage stamp pocket and pen.  To close it, I set an eyelet in the box and an eyelet into the lid and used the same satin ribbon tied into a bow.




This was a fun project!
Thanks for looking.





1 comment:

  1. As pretty as the feminine set is, I think your masculine set wins, Elizabeth! Can you believe it? :) You have done a wonderful job in creating cards for both the sets. I can see the amount of work put into the packaging as well. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete